Virtual Happy Hour: Carla Harris Master Class Strategy Session
On Tuesday, March 3rd, Take The Lead hosted Morgan Stanley banker and gospel singer Carla Harris as the first guest in our 2015 Virtual Happy Hour series. Throughout the session, Carla wowed participants with a master class on being yourself at work and strategizing for success.
- Carla Harris talks about her background and getting her career in the financial industry (10:53)
- Carla talks about strategically choosing and finding the balance between her various extracurricular commitments (12:57)
- Carla gives “questions” people should ask themselves to truly know who they are (15:02)
- Carla gives advice for people transitioning to a new career field after feeling undervalued previously (17:29)
- Carla discusses how one can balance attention giving to projects and people (19:17)
- Carla explains why she wrote her book “strategize to win” and what to expect from the book (20:39)
- Carla gives tips on how to connect with young women to inspire them to follow in her footsteps and be in leadership positions (22:26)
- Getting men involved in the process of inspiring young women to take leadership positions (23:19)
- Carla explaining the concept of “relationship currency” and how to use this tool to help our career (24:30)
- Carla explains why it is important to get to know people on all levels of the organization (27:09)
- Carla discusses how we can be sponsors to other people trying to take the lead (28:54)
- Carla advises on how to tackle situations where a woman in a leadership position refuses to help other women (31:39)
- Carla’s observation on the media narrative of women in leadership positions not helping other women to get there (33:06)
- Carla explains how to deal with change of leadership in a job (34:19)
- Carla discusses dealing with the barriers and challenges she has faced in her career (35:48)
- Carla offers tips to balancing work and personal life (37:34)
- Carla discusses how to negotiate your salary when your male counterpart earns more than you (38:08)
- Carla discusses how female entrepreneurs can create their own corporate culture and structure and be taken seriously (41:24)
- Carla discusses how corporations can create an environment that women feel comfortable working in (42:48)
- Carla discusses if there is an age limit on women to achieve success by strategizing (46:29)
More About Carla Harris
Carla Harris is the author of “Strategize to Win” and Vice Chairman, Global Wealth Management, Managing Director and Senior Client Advisor at Morgan Stanley. She is responsible for increasing client connectivity and penetration to enhance revenue generation across the firm. In August 2013, Harris was appointed by President Barack Obama to chair the national Women’s Business Council. The chair of the board of the Morgan Stanley Foundation, Harris sits on the boards for many other philanthropic organizations including Food Bank for NYC, The Toigo Foundation, and The Apollo Theater Foundation. She was also recently named chair of The Executive Leadership Council.
Carla’s passion lies in helping others. As she says, “we are blessed, so that we can be a blessing to others.” While climbing the corporate ladder, Carla had her own personal missteps amidst numerous victories. She vowed that when she reached senior management and people came to her for advice, she would provide them with the tools, strategies, and pearls of wisdom honed by her own experience.
Carla is an accomplished singer who has delighted audiences around the world with her soulful renditions of new and old gospel favorites. She has performed two sold-out concerts at Carnegie Hall and released several albums (Carla’s First Christmas, Joy is Waiting, Unceasing Praise).
Carla has degrees from Harvard University and Harvard Business School and numerous honorary doctorates.
Get Carla’s Books