Virtual Happy Hour: Women, The Media & Entrepreneurship
Our April 2015 Virtual Happy Hour guest was Claudia Chan, women’s empowerment expert and founder and CEO of S.H.E. Globl Media. The serial entrepreneur (and mom-to-be) joined Take The Lead’s Gloria Feldt on April 8th for an inspiring chat about the challenges of starting your own business and finding the inner confidence to lead. Some of our favorite quotes from the evening are below.
- Claudia Chan narrates how she started her career and personal story (4:54)
- Claudia gives three questions every aspiring entrepreneur should ask themselves before starting off their ventures (9:22)
- Claudia explains how female entrepreneurs can go off the grid (12:58)
- Claudia explains what it is like having a baby and a start up at the same time (15:49)
- Claudia discusses her choice of going into media (17:41)
- Claudia discusses how to get mainstream media to see women of color issues as mainstream issues (20:03)
- Claudia gives finance advice for women who are starting out businesses (23:25)
- Claudia suggests a way to increase awareness and accelerate change in the media overall (27:40)
- Claudia gives advice to women trying to strike the balance of methods to get to the top in business (31:08)
- Claudia explains how a person can learn excellent judgement (34:19)
- Claudia Chan explains the annual SHE Summit Conference (41:19)
- Claudia gives advice for startups led by women who have full time jobs (44:25)
- Claudia gives insight into how to motivate to action within a group of women and getting women to talk less and do more (46:51)
- Claudia gives a take home exercise for women called “pre-paving” onn dealing with bad days (52:54)
More About Claudia Chan
Claudia Chan is the CEO and Founder of S.H.E. Globl Media Inc., the multi-platform women’s empowerment media company behind the renowned global women’s conference, S.H.E. Summit. As a women’s empowerment expert and social entrepreneur, Claudia’s life passion is to help women unlock their limitless potential in career and life, because she believes when women do better, the world does better.
After a decade-long entrepreneurial career as president of women’s events company, Shecky’s, Claudia noticed a lack of diverse female role models and empowering messages in the media, and realized this directly hindered how women and girls perceived their own potential in career, life, and self-confidence. As a response, she launched S.H.E. Globl Media Inc. in 2012, creating digital content, conferences and programs to make empowerment and mentorship accessible to all women.
As a women’s empowerment expert and entrepreneur, Claudia Chan and her initiatives have been widely quoted and featured in top tier outlets, including New York Times, NBC, Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Business Insider, Mashable, Huffington Post, Good Housekeeping Magazine, PEOPLE StyleWatch, In Style, and others. Claudia has been referred to as the possible “Richard Branson of Women’s Empowerment” by FastCompany, “SHE Who Must Be Obeyed” by Newsweek/The Daily Beast, a “Success Story” by FOX Business, a MAKER by the AOL/PBS initiative, “Makers: Women Who Make America,” “The Woman Helping to Redefine ‘Having It All’” by Refinery29, “One of the world’s most curious people” by Vanity Fair, “a motivational media woman in charge” by Cosmopolitan Magazine and “Intrepid Woman” by The Glass Hammer. Claudia has spoken nationally at renowned events and universities – including Social Good Summit, TEDxMiddlebury, Cornell Johnson’s Business School, Columbia University, and Princeton University – on leadership, entrepreneurship, confidence and business at corporations, universities, and conferences nationwide.